Recipe by AZPARZYCH
Found online; posting for ZWT6 (NA*ME/Morocco)
Top Review by I'mPat
I scaled this back for 3 serves and I did substitute sultanas for the raisins and red capsicum for the green peppers but otherwise proceeded and made as per recipe but when I added the couscous and sultanas to to the liquid mix there was not enough liquid so had to add nearly a cup of hot/boiling water (would sub this with vegie stock in the future). Also I think I would dry roast the almonds (in an oil free pan) and then add them with the couscous and the raisins, giving a more even colour to the almond (oh I used blanched slivered almonds). Thank you AZPARZYCH for a lovely couscous recipe, made for Everyday A Holiday.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 green pepper, chopped
- 2 cups orange juice
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 5 cloves, whole
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups couscous
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large skillet and cook almonds until lightly toasted.
- Add onions and green pepper; cook until soft.
- Add orange juice, cinnamon sticks, cloves, and spices and bring to a boil Quickly stir in couscous and raisins, then cover and turn off heat.
- Let stand 5 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed completely.
- Fluff with a fork before serving.
- Sprinkle each portion with the green onions.