Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Found online; posting for ZWT6 (NA*ME/Morocco)
Make and share this Orange-Nut Couscous recipe from Food.com.
- Heat oil in a large skillet and cook almonds until lightly toasted.
- Add onions and green pepper; cook until soft.
- Add orange juice, cinnamon sticks, cloves, and spices and bring to a boil Quickly stir in couscous and raisins, then cover and turn off heat.
- Let stand 5 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed completely.
- Fluff with a fork before serving.
- Sprinkle each portion with the green onions.
I scaled this back for 3 serves and I did substitute sultanas for the raisins and red capsicum for the green peppers but otherwise proceeded and made as per recipe but when I added the couscous and sultanas to to the liquid mix there was not enough liquid so had to add nearly a cup of hot/boiling water (would sub this with vegie stock in the future). Also I think I would dry roast the almonds (in an oil free pan) and then add them with the couscous and the raisins, giving a more even colour to the almond (oh I used blanched slivered almonds). Thank you AZPARZYCH for a lovely couscous recipe, made for Everyday A Holiday.
I think this recipe has great potential. My dish ended up very dry, but it is possible the problem was using pearled couscous. I used 12 oz rather than two cups, but there still wasn't enough liquid for the result to be fluffy. I also added some orange zest to up the orange flavor. Next time I would double the tumeric too. Thank you for sharing the recipe. I am glad I tried it! ZWT9
What a delightful recipe! I don't care for onions so skipped the garnish, otherwise made just as directed and wouldn't change a thing. Loved the combination of flavors here; the heat from the cayenne was great with the orange and other spices. Enjoyed the addition of raisins and almonds too. Just loved this - thanks for sharing the recipe!