Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Another recipe from Strictly Thrifty Menus using Bisquick.
- 1 1⁄2 cups Bisquick baking mix
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup water or 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup chopped nuts
- Heat oven to 350*.
- Blend all ingredients except raisins and nuts in large mixer bowl on low speed 1/2 minute, scraping bowl frequently. Beat 4 minutes at medium speed. Stir in raisins and nuts.
- Pour batter into greased and floured square pan, 8x8x2".
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. If you like, serve warm with whipped topping.
This snack cake really has a lot of flavor. The texture is a cross between a quick bread and a coffee cake. Easy to make, using a stand mixer. The only change I made was to add dried cranberries instead of raisins.