Recipe by grandma2969
I really love the orange cream spread with this recipe..even use it on other breads..the fresh orange makes a huge difference..keep refrigerated..I use the orange juice with pulp for this recipe..prep time includes chilling time for bread and spread
Top Review by Morningfeather
I made these yesterday... with the help from Bumbling B's. She went out of her way to help clarify this recipe for me. I made the cream cheese spread first but added 5 TBSp of powdered sugar. I had really big oranges and I think that is why I needed too. The clarification came in needing the amounts of bakiing soda and powder. I used 1 tsp baking powder and 1/4 tsp baking soda. Since I used fresh oranges I also upped the OJ to 1 cup, pulp and all. I made these as muffins since I don't have the size pans called for but I don't know how this would have made 3 loaves. All in all we really liked them and I will make these again. Thank you for a tasty treat.
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 cup pecans, chopped, toasted
ORANGE CREAM CHEESE SPREAD
- 3 -8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 -4 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 navel orange, unpeeled, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- I wash the navel orange and set aside to dry.
- remove both ends.
- toast the pecans on a flat sheet in oven for 5 minutes in 350* oven.
- grease 3 6x3 1/2" loaf pans.set aside.
- in a medium mixing bowl, sift flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda -- set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream sugar,and butter,.beat in eggs, one at a time.stir in the orange juice with pulp and water, alternately with flour mixture.combine well.
- add the extracts and pecans and pour into prepared loaf pans --
- bake in a 350* oven to 40-45 minutes.
- remove from pans after 5 minutes and wrap.
- chill well before serving.
- makes 3 small loaves.
- to prepare the ORANGE CREAM CHEESE SPREAD:.
- in a food processor with steel blade in place, combine the cream cheese, powdered sugar and orange.
- process to a thick spread --
- refrigerate for at least several hours to blend the flavors.
- spread lightly on sliced orange nut bread.