Prep 20 mins
Cook 18 mins
A lo-fat muffin that tastes great. This is a "heavy" muffin - not light & fluffy, but tasty. To reduce fat & cholesterol I replaced the butter with Smart Balance regular (not light) spread and used 2 egg whites.
- 1 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup wheat germ
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter or 4 tablespoons Smart Balance butter spread
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup orange juice
- 1 eggs or 2 egg whites
- 1 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- 1 cup chopped dried apricot halves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare muffin pans by spraying with oil or use paper liners. This recipe seems to make more than 12.
- Combine first six ingredients. Can replace 1/4°C wheat germ with additional 1/4°C whole wheat flour.
- Add butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Stir in the sugar.
- In a separate bowl, combine orange juice & egg.
- Add to flour mixture just until blended. Dough will be stiff.
- Add cranberries and apricots.
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 full.
- Bake 18 minute until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into a muffin.
- Cool 5 minutes & then remove from pan & completely cool on rack.
I love truth in advertising! :) Yes these are "heavy" but so tasty! And we like a more substantial muffin. I have made orange-cranberry muffins before but had never added chopped apricots. Delicious! Since these are a heavy muffin be sure not to over bake them. Made for Spring 2009 PAC Orphanage.
I took your suggestion & subbed Smart Balance & egg whites for those to indicated ingredients, AND included the 2 fruits for A VERY, VERY TASTY TREAT, both for breakfast & for lunch! My kind of muffins, & the recipe is a certain keeper! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs at the tail end of the current Pick A Chef]
These muffins are great!! They seemed a little dry but, I might have cooked them a little longer than needed otherwise they were awesome and just what I was looking for!! I only put in a 1/2 cup of the cranberries and skipped the apricots to fit my own tastes. Thanks for posting!!