Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Orange oil is the essential oil found in the peel; available in most gourmet stores.
Top Review by mianbao
What can I say? Not too sweet, not too sour. Not too orangey, not too unorangey. Very easy to make. I got 1 tablespoon zest and exactly 3/4 cup juice from my two oranges. The yield was 12 muffins made in approximately 1/4 cup capacity tins, and 6 muffins made in 1/2 cup tins. This is one of those "hit the jackpot" recipes. Thank you very much for sharing it with us.
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup yogurt (regular, lowfat, or nonfat)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- 3⁄4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup milk (whole, lowfat, or nonfat)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon orange oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Position rack in center of oven; preheat oven to 400°.
- Prepare muffin tin—spray indentations and rims with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt until uniform; set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk egg and yogurt until smooth; then whisk in the melted butter and orange zest; once incorporated, whisk in the orange juice, milk, and orange oil.
- Stir in the flour mixture using a wooden spoon, until moistened.
- Fill muffin tins ¾ full; bake 20 minutes or until tops are rounded and lightly brown; pick inserted should come out with a few moist crumbs attached.
- Place pan on wire rack; cool 10 minutes.
- Gently rock muffins back and forth to release; remove muffins from tin.
- Cool for 5 minutes on wire rack before serving.
- *Blood Red Orange Muffins—substitute blood orange juice and zest for the orange juice and zest; whisk in 6 drops of red food coloring, if desired, with the yogurt; proceed as directed.
- *Chocolate Chip Orange Muffins—add ¾ cups miniature milk chocolate chips with the flour; proceed as directed.
- *Minty Orange Muffins—add 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint with the orange zest; proceed as directed.
- *Provencal Savory Muffins—add 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary with the yogurt; reduce the butter to 3 tablespoons, and add 3 tablespoons olive oil with the remaining butter; proceed as directed.