Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a very refreshing dessert after a big meal or on a hot sunny day. The recipe says it serves 6 but when I made it I found that it serves 10. Great flavor
- 3 1⁄2 cups skim milk
- 3 large eggs
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice (fresh is best)
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract (use pure if possible)
- 2 cups lightly frozen whipped topping, non dairy, thawed or 2 cups two cups whipped cream
- orange slice (to garnish)
- In a large saucepan heat milk over medium heat until bubbles form around the edge of the pan (do not boil). Add butter,allow it to melt.
- Meanwhile in a bowl using an electric mixer at high speed beat eggs, egg whites, sugar & cornstarch until very light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Mix in orange juice and orange peel.
- Beat in 1 cup of the hot milk into the egg mixture.
- Slowly whisk the egg mixture into the hot milk.
- Bring mousse to a boil whisking the entire time until the mixture is thick, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Pour mousse into a bowl, cover and put in fridge until cold, about 2 hours.
- Fold in whipped topping, place in serving dishes (a large wine glass looks great) garnish with an orange and serve or you may cover and put in fridge until you are ready to serve, garnish just before serving.