Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Delicate and delicious. The long cooking time is for leaving the meringues in the turned-off oven overnight.
- Preheat oven to 475F degrees.
- Cover 2 baking sheets with foil.
- Beat egg whites until foamy.
- Add salt and cream of tartar.
- Mix the orange gelatin and sugar together, then add the mixture to the egg whites gradually, a tablespoon at a time, while beating.
- Beat to stiff peaks.
- Carefully fold in the chocolate chips and nuts, if desired.
- Drop batter by teaspoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheets.
- Place the baking sheets into the hot oven quickly, then close the oven door, and turn the oven off.
- Leave the cookies in the oven overnight (8 hours).
- Store in an airtight container.
These were good: very intense and orangy. Less crispy and more chewy than my usual meringues (which aren't left in the oven overnight). Easy to make. I didn't use the optional chocolate chips or nuts, but either one would probably have been a nice addition. I got 37 meringues out of this recipe. A nice, light, fatfree "cookie"!
These turned out very nice- they almost tasted like fruit loops. I didn't have any cream of tarter so I used baking soda instead, and it worked well. The overnight baking time was really nice too.