Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 mins
This delicious pie is zesty, sweet and refreshing. And with half the sugar this pie goes down guilt free.
- 1 reduced-fat pie shell, 9 inches, baked
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup sugar substitute
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons unsalted margarine
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons sugar substitute
- Preheat oven to 400°f.
- In a medium sized pot, mix 1/3 cup sugar, 2/3 cups sugar substitute. Over medium heat, gradually stir in cornstarch, water, orange juice, and egg yolk.
- Stir mixture until it boils and thickens. Let boil one minute and remove from heat.
- Stir in margarine, 1 tbs orange zest, and lemon juice.
- Pour hot mixture into pie shell and set aside.
- In an electric mixer, combine 3 egg whites and cream of tartar. Mix until slightly frothy, then add 2 tbs sugar, 4 tbs sugar substitute, and vanilla extract.
- Mix on high until meringue is stiff.
- Scoop meringue gently onto cooling pie filling. Pull meringue gently to the edge of pie shell to prevent shrinking away from the shell when fully cooled.
- Decorate as desired with extra meringue.
- Bake about 8 minutes or until meringue is golden brown.
- Garnish with remaining 1 tbs of orange zest.
- Allow pie to cool for at least one hour. Slice and enjoy!