Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
The orange and chocolate pair well to yield a melt-in-your-mouth truffle.
- 2 (11 1/2 ounce) packages milk chocolate chips, divided
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (6 ounces)
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange rind
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons orange extract
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- Place 1 package milk chocolate chips and semi sweet chocolate chips in a mixing bowl; set aside.
- In a saucepan, bring cream and orange peel to a gentle boil; immediately pour over chips.
- Let stand for 1 minute; whisk until smooth.
- Add the extract.
- Cover and chill for 30 minutes or until mixture begins to thicken.
- Beat for 10 to 15 seconds or just until mixture lightens in color (do not overbeat).
- Spoon rounded teaspoonfuls onto waxed paper-lined baking sheets.
- Cover and chill for 5 minutes.
- Gently shape into balls.
- In a double boiler or microwave safe dish, melt remaining bag of milk chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth.
- Dip balls in chocolate; place on waxed paper to harden.
- Store in refrigerator.
- Yield: 6 dozen.