Prep 24 hrs
Cook 18 hrs 40 mins
Preserves...this is one of the old family recipes...not sure where it comes from except Mom's recipe box.
- 2 cups thinly sliced orange rind
- 1 quart chopped orange pulp
- 1 cup thinly sliced lemon
- 1 1⁄2 quarts water
- 5 cups sugar
- Add water to fruit and simmer 5 minutes.
- Cover and let stand 12-18 hours in a cool place.
- Cook rapidly until peel is tender, about 1 hour.
- Measure fruit and liquid.
- Alternate sugar with each cup of fruit mixture.
- Bring slowly to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Cook rapidly, about 25 minutes.
- When mixture begins to thicken, stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Pour hot into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space.
- Adjust caps.
- Process 10 minutes in boiling water bath.
- Yield: about 7 half pints.
This worked fine eventually, and the taste was wonderful. I wish the directions had hinted that cooking the marmalade until it thickens enough to set may take as much as an hour and 15 minutes.
This is just like I remembered. Wonderful.