Recipe by Jerrie
Preserves...this is one of the old family recipes...not sure where it comes from except Mom's recipe box.
Top Review by fluffernutter
This worked fine eventually, and the taste was wonderful. I wish the directions had hinted that cooking the marmalade until it thickens enough to set may take as much as an hour and 15 minutes.
- 2 cups thinly sliced orange rind
- 1 quart chopped orange pulp
- 1 cup thinly sliced lemon
- 1 1⁄2 quarts water
- 5 cups sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Add water to fruit and simmer 5 minutes.
- Cover and let stand 12-18 hours in a cool place.
- Cook rapidly until peel is tender, about 1 hour.
- Measure fruit and liquid.
- Alternate sugar with each cup of fruit mixture.
- Bring slowly to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Cook rapidly, about 25 minutes.
- When mixture begins to thicken, stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Pour hot into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space.
- Adjust caps.
- Process 10 minutes in boiling water bath.
- Yield: about 7 half pints.