Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
I have been using this on pizza along with roasted sweet potato and carmelized onion.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons ginger, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper (to taste)
- 3 tablespoons red wine
- 1 (15 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- Heat onions in oil over med-high heat until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger and pepper. Saute 5 more minutes.
- Add wine to deglaze pan.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, orange juice, soy sauce, and water and bring to a low boil. Boil on low about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Put sauce in blender with maple syrup and liquid smoke. Puree.
- Enjoy on pizza, tofu, tempeh, etc.!
This was a big hit, my kids liked it enough to use on all sorts of things, some of which I felt were inappropriate (toast?). It inspired me to experiment more with making my own.