Recipe by HokiesMom
Posting for ZWT7 for the South/Central American region. I have not tried this recipe yet but definitely is in my plans in the very near future. Something about combining orange juice and mangoes with macadamia nuts just sounds like success to me. Be aware - this makes TWO LOAVES of bread.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 1 tablespoon orange zest, grated
- 2 cups mangoes, diced (well-drained if you are using a canned variety)
- 1 cup macadamia nuts, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 9-inch loaf pans.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and ginger; set aside.
- With an electric mixer on medium speed, blend the sugars and eggs until sugars are dissolved.
- Add oil, buttermilk, orange juice and zest and continuing to blend well.
- Lower the mixer speed and add the flour mixture. Beat only until well mixed. (It is very important not to over-mix a quick bread or you will end with a very dense bread).
- By hand, add the diced mango and chopped nuts and stir gently.
- Divide batter into the two loaf pans.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the loaf.
- Let cool for 15 minutes prior to removing to a wire rack to cool completely.