Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is an Orange Mandarin cake, I know there are plenty of recipes already on zaar, but there wasn't one with exactly the ingredients I prefer to make it with!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 (8 ounce) can mandarin oranges (use liquid for cake)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine all dry ingredients.
- Add egg, vanilla and juice.
- Beat three minutes.
- Stir in oranges.
- Bake in square pan for 30-35 minutes.
- Make the frosting while the cake is in the oven.
- Cook all three ingredients over medium heat.
- Keep warm, then pour over the cake while hot.
I was looking for a scratch cake to use with a can of mandarin oranges.This is the only one I found. I doubled the recpie and it came out good,but very very SWEET!I am a sweet lover but whoa.. maybe next time I will double the cake and not the topping:)
This was such a good cake. I made just one batch to try it and had to whip up another cake right after because my husband dug in and ate up most of the first cake! I didn't have any brown sugar in the house but I had a container of cream cheese frosting and it worked out very well! I will be making this cake again soon!
This cake got the Emergency Room staff seal of approval. I did find it very sweet, though, but according to my workmates, this would be great with custard as a dessert.