Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
This is a no fuss loaf of quick bread with a wonderful orange flavor.
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons soft shortening
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 4 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 3 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- Cream sugar, shortening and egg.
- Add milk, orange juice and rind; mix well.
- Stir in flour, baking powder and salt; mix well.
- Fold in the chopped nuts.
- Pour into greased loaf pan.
- Bake at 350° for 70-80 minutes, until loaf tests done.
Great orange bread. Made a thin orange glaze which I poured over it (after I had stabbed a few holes with a toothpick) when I took it out of the oven, before removing from pan. Yumm!
Very good bread, but a little on the plain side. The texture was wonderful and the flavor is a pleasant, mild orange taste, but that's it. Followed the recipe to a "T", so I am sure that this came out to be what it was intended, a moist, MILD flavored bread...begging for some type of spread :) Thanks for sharing!
Good bread but kind of bland. It is slightly sweet but can be made more flavorful by adding some spices. I used splenda sugar blend and also made a thin glaze with confectioner's sugar.