Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
A wonderfully creamy and zesty pie! One of my favorites. From better homes and gardens. Cook time doesn't include time needed for chilling.
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin (1 envelope)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon orange rind, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon peel, grated
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed (2 oranges)
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed (1 lemon)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1 (9 inch) pie crusts, unbaked
- In a saucepan combine the gelatin, sugar and salt. Stir in the milk and egg yolks.
- Cook and stir constantly over medium heat until mixture thickens slightly, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the grated peel and juices. Chill till partially set. Fold in whipped cream and put in pie shell. Chill until firm, at least 2 hours.
This was pretty easy to make. I used 2 eggs instead and used 1/2 a cup of lemon juice instead for an added lemonly flavor and half of the orange juice. This was really sweet, I think I'll use a little less sugar next time.