Recipe by little_wing
Found while searching for healthy recipes but haven't tried it yet. Sounds different!
Top Review by AmandaInOz
I made this for lunches this week. Really hearty. Reminded me a bit of cream of broccoli soup, just with a nice little zing from the orange zest and red pepper (I added a bit extra). Perfect for this week, as the temperature is beginning to drop here! Thanks for a great recipe! Made for PAC Spring 2007.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups thinly sliced leeks (white and light-green parts only)
- 6 cups low-sodium low-fat chicken broth or 6 cups low-sodium low-fat vegetable broth
- 6 cups broccoli florets, cut to small pieces
- 1 cup large flake oats
- 1 orange, zest of, medium
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese (optional)
- fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In soup pot, heat oil over medium-high heat Cook leeks for 7-8 minutes or until softened and golden brown.
- Add stock, broccoli, oats, orange zest, hot pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered for 30 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- Stir in milk; continue to cook for another 10 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve each bowlful with a sprinkle of cheddar cheese, if desired, and freshly ground pepper.