Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 50 mins
Posted in reply to a request. Prep time includes 1 hour marinating time.
- 6 shoulder lamb chops, cut 3/4 inch thick
- 1⁄2 teaspoon shredded orange rind
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1 tablespoon shortening or 1 tablespoon oil or 1 tablespoon butter
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup sliced mushrooms (if canned, drain before using)
- 1 teaspoon butter
- In a small pan, sauté sliced mushrooms in 1 teaspoon of butter, until mushroom juices evaporate; then set aside (if using canned mushrooms, omit this step).
- Trim excess fat from chops.
- Combine orange peel, juice and thyme; spoon mixture over chops.
- Let chops marinate for 1 hour at room temperature (or about 3 hours in refrigerator), turn chops once or twice.
- Remove chops from marinade, and reserve.
- Brown chops on both sides in hot shortening; season with salt and pepper.
- Add reserved orange mixture and mushrooms.
- Cover pan and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Uncover pan and simmer about 5 minutes longer.
Nice combination of orange, lamb & the mushrooms. I marinated the chops for 4 hours in the fridge. I enjoyed them but would not rate this recipe as my favorite. It seemed to need a little more zip. Perhaps adding some basil - Not sure but I wnted a taste of something added. Don't misunderstand me I enjoyed my dinner and I'll bet for most this recipe would be just right. Thanks Dee514 for posting it