Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A twist on the classic eggnog that is traditionally served around the holidays. Here, the classic flavor combination of orange and chocolate intermingle and a touch of spices is also here for added flavor.
- 4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
- 12 egg yolks
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar (light or dark)
- 1 3⁄4 cups rum (light or dark)
- 3⁄4 cup orange liqueur (use Grand Marnier, or Cointreau, if these are unavailable, use Triple Sec)
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder (use bittersweet or semisweet) or 1 1⁄2 cups dark chocolate squares, melted (use bittersweet or semisweet)
- 4 cups light cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Combine milk, cloves, 1/2 t orange extract, orange peel and cinnamon in a saucepan, and heat over lowest setting for 5 minutes. Slowly bring milk mixture to a boil.
- In a large bowl, combine egg yolks and sugar. Whisk together until fluffy. Whisk hot milk mixture slowly into the eggs.
- Pour mixture into saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for 3 minutes, or until thick. Do not allow mixture to boil. Let cool for about an hour.
- Stir in rum, orange liqueur, cream, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and nutmeg. Refrigerate overnight before serving.