Recipe by Colby's Mom
These cupcakes are delicious. They are light and airy tasting with just the right amount of orange flavoring. Originally this recipe called for a traditional, thick butter orange frosting, but I prefer it with just a glaze (saves on the calories a little, too).
Top Review by mna_n
wow!!! OMG delicious!! I just have to keep working on my glaze... this icing, frosting and glazing decorations are a little bit difficult for me if no step to step for beginners... but everything else is easy!! thanks!!! this recipe will be my favourite for cupcakes!!
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 1⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange extract or 1⁄2 teaspoon orange flavoring
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 2⁄3 cup sugar, divided
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a bowl; stir well and set aside.
- Combine flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt in large bowl.
- Add orange juice mixture; beat at low speed of an electric mixer until smooth.
- Set aside.
- Beat egg whites (at room temperature) and cream of tartar at high speed of an electric mixer until foamy.
- Gradually add remaining 1/3 cup sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Gently stir 1/4 of egg white mixture into orange mixture.
- Gently fold remaining egg white mixture into orange mixture.
- Divide batter evenly among 12 paper lined muffin cups.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 19 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove from pan; let cool on a wire rack (set over a piece of wax paper).
- Mix powdered sugar and orange juice until it is the consistency you desire (adding more or less juice).
- Spread thinly over the top of the cupcakes.