Recipe by Jason Heyd
I'd been looking for an Orange Julius recipe that didn't require a can of frozen OJ concentrate.
Top Review by Sunshine
I thought I would try a new recipe, beings I am attatched to the Orange Julius Smoothie recipe by Miss Annie #35185. I wasn't impressed by this recipe at all. There was no flavor to me without the vanilla. I had to add the vanilla just to give it some flavor. To me it tasted pretty bad. I added more orange juice and more ice just to see if I could save the recipe and then it was a bit better, maybe cut down on the milk by 1/2. I will try that and see if the taste will be better. Thanks for posting but I rather have a nice thick smoothie, with wonderful flavor.
- 10 -20 ice cubes
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract (optional, to taste)
- 1 egg, raw (optional, add at your own risk!)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place ingredients into a blender until ice is finely crushed.
- More ice will make the drink thicken slightly, as will adding the raw egg.
- You can also add 1/2 teaspoon (or slightly more) of almond extract which, I've been told, might get you a little closer to "the real deal". :).
- By the way, this definitely isn't a smoothie recipe. The Orange Julius is much closer to juice in consistency -- not usually "thick" at all. With that said, back when I was a kid, you could ask them to throw in a raw egg and that would thicken the mixture a bit. I've added the egg as an optional ingredient. And I'd definitely add the vanilla extract (and almond for that matter) if you want the "Orange Julius" flavor.