Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup strained orange juice
- 1 cup shredded coconut, finely cut
- Combine flour,soda and salt and sift 3 times.
- Cream the butter until it is light and lemon colored,add sugar gradually,beating after each addition.
- Add beaten eggs slowly to creamed mixture.
- Alternately add sifted ingredients and orange juice,beating until smooth after each addition.
- Add coconut.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets.
- Sprinkle with coconut if desired.
- Bake at 400 for 10-12 minutes.
Tried these over the weekend and they were fantastic. Thanks for a great recipe.
I made these without the coconut (not a huge fan) and they were okay. They were more cake-like than I had expected. The flavor wasn't particularly strong, either-- I might suggest adding some orange extract and maybe some orange rind. I made an orange glaze out of powdered sugar and orange juice to try to up the flavor and it did seem to help.Overall pretty good.
I made these this evening as we're expecting about 20 people today to come visit by before dad leaves for India in another day or two. I made these and they were really good. I had to bake them longer, though- in total, I baked them for 32 minutes and once baked, I turned off the oven and allowed them to sit inside for 10 minutes before removing them onto the wire rack to cool. As I'm really short on time because there is just so much to do(not to mention my struggle to finish my Java exam paper), so I did not sift the dry ingredients. I did substitute the butter with margarine. I did not sprinkle my cookies with coconut. I was so lucky to have fresh oranges on hand, there's nothing like fresh orange juice! The flavour of the juice bursts forth in these cookies. These are little gems with which you can aim straight at a man's heart;)! Thank You for sharing the recipe.