Recipe by Babs in Toyland
"Orange juice bread is especially good for breakfast, or spread with butter for aftenoon tea" This recipe is from the "1735 House" in Fernandina Beach, Florida - a cute little bed and breakfast on the beach.
- 1⁄2 cup sweet butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour or 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- lemon, zest of
- orange, zest of
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream the butter with the sugar in a large bowl.
- Beat the eggs and add to the creamed mixture.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together.
- Mix the orange juice and milk.
- Add the liquids alternately with the sifted dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, a little at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir the lemon and orange zest into the batter.
- Butter a loaf pan 11x4x3 inches.
- Line the bottom of the pan with waxed paper and butter the paper.
- Smooth the batter over the waxed paper and bake in an oven preheated to 325 degrees for 45 minutes, or until the bread springs back lightly when touched in the center.
- Combine the lemon and orange juice with the sugar in a small saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat until the sugar dissolves, stirring constantly.
- Brush the bread with this icing as soon as it is taken from the oven.
- Cool in the pan.