Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a recipe I found in the local paper. I was a bit hesitant to try it. When arranging it, it was so beautiful! The flavors are amazing! I ate it w/out the onion because of stomach issues with raw onions, but Im sure it was even better with the onion :-) ENJOY!!!
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, freshly squeezed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 cups baby greens or 4 cups mesclun
- 1 medium jicama, peeled and julienned
- 2 navel oranges or 2 another seedless variety oranges, peeled,pith removed and segmented
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 red onion, sliced very thin
- dried ancho chile powder or new mexico chile powder, to taste
- Whisk together the orange and lime juices in a nonreactive bowl, and taste to make sure you like the mixture of the juices.
- If you feel it needs more lime, or more orange, adjust as necessary, and add salt and pepper to taste; set aside.
- Take your baby greens (or mesclun) and divide it among individual plates (recipe serves 6), and set aside.
- In a large bowl, gently toss the jicama, orange segments, and cilantro.
- Drizzle with the citrus juice mixture and toss gently to combine.
- Arrange the jicama mixture on top of the greens you have arranged on plates, and garnish your salad with red onion slices.
- Sprinkle very lightly with chili powder.
Wow! No fat and it taste good to. I blended the juices, cilantro and a garlic clove with the chile (habanaro)powder. Mix in the jicama to absorb some of the flavor.Placed the jicama on top of the greens then orange slices and onions. A light and very refreshing salad.
You're right, the onion added a lot of zip to this salad and it was very attractive, great colors and textures. The jicama added a great crunchiness. I think next time, I will use a can of mandarin oranges and the juice from same to help make the dressing. The jicama seems to rely heavily on the citrus for flavor and the navel orange just didn't seem flavorful enough. I think that is more a problem with the quality of oranges we have available than any recipe problem. Beautiful salad!
What a light refreshing salad! Mmmm... I did skip the chili powder and the lime juice and added raspberry vinaigrette. I also added matchstick carrots and cucumber sticks for added color and crunch and served it over baby spinach leaves. Mandarin oranges were perfect placed on top. Very pretty salad and very delicious, thanks... Oh and I must tell you I love your blue lady! Cool