Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
Better Than Store Bought
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 (1/4 ounce) envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons orange zest
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- Mix together 2 cups sugar, water and gelatin in sauce pan.
- Boil 15 to 20 minutes, until mixture forms a short thread; remove from heat.
- Add the juices and salt to hot mixture.
- Let cool.
- Add the zests.
- Pour the mixture into a 9x5 inch pan that has been rinsed with cold water.
- Let stand for 4 hours until very firm.
- Run a blunt knife that has been dipped in water around the sides of the pan.
- Invert a baking sheet over the pan; turn over.
- Using a serrated knife dipped in cold water, cut candy into cubes; sieve powdered sugar over them.
- Roll cubes to coat generously.
- Arrange candy on cake rack; cover and let dry for several hours.
- Store in cardboard box or wrappped in paper bag.
It might turn out better if you use bitter oranges. I know it's candy, but I might as well have been eating sugar cubes.
This recipe is not clear enough. "Short threads" is too ambiguous, and a 5 minute difference in candy making can be disastrous. I attempted this recipe and ended up with a pan of burnt goo. After tweaking it and finding other similar, but more precise recipes I was able to put together a recipe for Lemon Turkish Delights that works (and works equally well with orange).