Recipe by Mirj
In my opinion, you can never have enough French Toast recipes at your disposal. This one is my adaptation of a recipe served at the Rock Center Cafe in New York. This French toast sandwich doesn't need syrup because a rich filling oozes out when you cut into the brioche.
Top Review by Erictheviking
Excellent orange mascarpone- I didn't have orange marmalade so substituted crab apple jelly and modified quantities to suit 2- Had some left over and it was glorious just eating it for desert later in the day
For the orange mascarpone
- 1 lb mascarpone cheese, at close to room temperature
- 5 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1 orange, zest of, grated
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 pinch salt
For the French toast
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 2 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- butter, for cooking french toast
- 12 slices challah, each 1/2 inch thick (the original recipe calls for brioche)
Directions See How It's Made
- Make the mascarpone: In a small bowl, mix the mascarpone, marmalade, grated orange zest, honey and salt.
- Refrigerate until needed.
- Make the French toast batter: In a bowl, mix together the orange juice, milk, eggs, sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Pour into a baking dish or pie plate.
- Melt a little butter in a large saute pan over medium-low heat.
- Dip the challah slices quickly into batter on both sides and place 6 slices into the pan (you may need to use two large pans to make all the French toast at one time).
- Let the infused mascarpone come to room temperature so it's easier to spread.
- Use a tablespoon or knife to spread some of the cream on each piece of bread in the pan, keeping a 1/2-inch border all around the bread free from the mascarpone.
- Cover each mascarpone-slathered piece of challah with another slice of bread that has been dipped in the batter.
- Cook the French toast"sandwiches" until golden brown on one side, carefully flip them over and cook until the second side is golden brown, adding more butter as needed.
- To serve, place a French toast sandwich on each plate.