Prep 20 mins
Cook 7 mins
These cookies are so "orange" and so moist and delicious!
- 1 cup butter
- 2 oranges, juice and rind of
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups sifted flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 4 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 orange, juice and rind of
- 1 (1 lb) box powdered sugar
- Cream together butter and sugar.
- Combine rind and juice of 2 oranges, eggs and buttermilk.
- Add this to cream mixture alternately with flour, soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add 2 teaspoons orange juice to this batter.
- Drop by teaspoon on greased cookie sheets.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 6 to 8 minutes.
- When cool, ice with orange icing above.
I started worrying when I saw how wet the batter was at the end - and I still hadn't add the extra OJ. So I simply left that out. I didn't bother frosting these as these were two sick kids who didn't need the additional sugar. The cookies by themselves are very sweet and cakey in consistency. When you drop them onto the tray they go completely pancake like and the baked end result is similar! I'm glad that I only baked up one tray at first so that I can now go back to add more flour and thicken the recipe up and make it more cookie like in consistency. I suspect that this recipe probably started as a cake recipe because it has that kind of consistency.