Prep 24 hrs
Cook 10 mins
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 drops red food coloring
- 3 drops yellow food coloring
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- in large bowl, cream butter and sugar.add egg and orange rind.mix well.
- sift together flour, salt and baking soda.
- add to creamed mixture --
- on a floured surface, knead dough till smooth --
- shape into 2 rolls about 1 1/2" in diameter.and flatten tops to make an oval shape.
- wrap in waxed paper and chill overnight.in refrigerator.
- preheat oven to 375* --
- grease and flour a cookie sheet.
- add food coloring to 1/4 cup granulated sugar.
- to make desired orange color.
- roll dough in colored sugar and slice 1/4" thick.
- arrange on cookie sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes.
- to prepare ICING:.
- mix powdered sugar and orange juice.
- brush cookies with icing --
- let cool.