Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Be sure to use a large plate, as some of the custard is likely to "escape". . . For the cake I use my Orange Sponge Tube Cake (recipe 75431)
- Beat egg yolks in the top of a double boiler.
- Blend sugar, peel and corn starch; add to egg yolks.
- Stir in orange juice.
- Cook over boiling water, stirring constantly, until thick.
- Allow mixture to cool.
- Beat egg whites and cream TOGETHER until soft peaks form.
- Fold into cooled orange mixture Slice cake into two layers.
- Place bottom layer on large serving plate.
- Spread 1/2 of the custard onto the bottom layer.
- Place the other layer on top of the custard and top with remaining custard.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- While cake is chilling, some custard may"escape" from the middle- just spoon in back on the top.