Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Summer is coming and its time to start looking for new and unique drinks to try. Here's a twist on an old favourite. You can also use Meyer lemon or ruby red grapefruit juice with this recipe. (Also you could substitute the juice for your favourite lemon, orange or grapefruit liqueur or soda).
- 6 tablespoons blood orange juice, fresh
- 1 teaspoon orange juice, for rimming
- 4 teaspoons white sugar
- 2 teaspoons white sugar, white for rimming
- 2⁄3-1 cup club soda
- 1⁄2 cup vanilla ice cream, large scoop
- 1 orange slice, garnish
- Rub orange juice on the edge of glass and then place the glass in white sugar to rim glass.
- Set the prepared glass in freezer to chill until needed.
- Next dissolve the 4 tsps of sugar in 6 tbsp of orange juice.
- Pour the orange mixture into the prepared glass.
- Add the club soda and top with ice cream.
- Pour the remaining orange juice and sugar (if any - from rimming the glass) over the ice cream and garnish glass with an orange slice.
- Serve with a straw and a spoon, enjoy immediately.
- *Please use the same measurements for liqueurs as for juice.
- * If using sodas instead of juice or liqueurs, please substitute the club soda with your preferred soda, (lemon, orange or grapefruit).
Nice summer drink. Or good for any season. I made mine with regular orange juice. Made for Aussie Recipe Swap game June 2013.
Fun and yum. In Australia the mixed of a fizz drink and vanilla ice cream are called spider. I think this would be a stronger flavour we reduced the orange and the sugar together in a small saucepan to make a syrup. I used raw sugar because it's the only sugar we have at home at the moment. Hubby said that the club soda was the prominent flavour of the drink. Little Miss really enjoyed it because it was her first time tasting it and I thought it was very refreshing. Thanks Baby Kato for your wonderful recipe.
So easy, good and versatile what with the Meyer lemon or Ruby red grapefruit options. This brought back fond childhood memories, mom made floats using orange soda pop and ice cream. I had not thought about orange floats in years. Thanks for a wonderful drink and great memories.