From the "Barefoot Contessa At Home" by Ina Garten. Carrots that are not bagged are always sweeter than the bagged kind. "As vegetables go, carrots tend to be sweet, so I decided to add honey to bring out the sweetness and ginger to balance it with spice. Freshly grated orange zest gives the dish depth." This recipe is easily doubled etc. just use a larger sauté pan. The carrots may take a little longer to cook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut the carrots diagonally in 1" thick slices. You should have about 5 cups of carrots.
- 2Place 1/2 cup water, the butter or margarine, honey, 2 teaspoons salt, and the ginger in a large sauté pan and bring to a boil.
- 3Add the carrots, cover, and simmer over medium-low heat for 5 minutes.
- 4Remove the lid and continue to cook for 10 to 15 minutes, until all the water has evaporated.
- 5Add the orange zest and orange juice to pan, tossing with carrots.
- 6Simmer uncovered for about 5 minutes, until the carrots are al dente (tender, but still resistant when you bite into them)and the sauce glazes the carrots.
- 7Add the pepper and another teaspoon of salt to taste.
- 8*This dish reheats beautifully. Undercook the carrots a bit and reheat them before serving.
- 9The Barefoot Contessa served this with roast capon, buttermilk mashed potatoes, green beans with shallots, and pumpkin mousse parfait. I have the recipes in my private cookbook, if you want them please zmail me.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Orange-Honey Glazed Carrots
Serving Size: 1 (221 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 191.6
- Calories from Fat 57
- Total Fat 6.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 158.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 21.5 g
- Protein 2.4 g