My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 orange
- 1 tablespoon light-brown sugar or 1 tablespoon light-brown sugar substitute
- 1 1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bunch green onion
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped (reserve stems)
- 1 (17 lb) turkey
- 1/2 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Remove rind from orange with a vegetable peeler, avoiding bitter white pith. Finely chop rind.
- 3Cut orange in half; juice orange halves. Reserve juice for making gravy; reserve orange halves.
- 4Combine rind, brown sugar/brown sugar substitute, poultry seasoning and salt in a small bowl.
- 5Finely chop white part of green onions; reserve green part. Add chopped green onions and chopped parsley to rind mixture.
- 6Remove neck and giblets from turkey cavity. With your fingers, carefully loosen skin around turkey breast and legs. Spread rind mixture under the skin.
- 7Place parsley stems, green onion ends and orange halves in turkey cavity.
- 8Place turkey on a rack in a large roasting pan. Place neck and gizzards in bottom of pan. Loosely tent turkey with aluminum foil.
- 9Roast in heated 350 degree oven 3-1/2 hours or until an instant-read thermometer registers an internal temperature of 180 degrees F in innermost part of thigh and 170 degrees in breast.
- 10Remove turkey to a platter. Discard neck and gizzard.
- 11Cover loosely with foil; let stand 20 minutes.
- 12Meanwhile, prepare gravy: Scrape pan drippings into a 1-quart liquid measuring cup.
- 13Skim off fat. Add water to equal 4 cups.
- 14Pour into a medium-size saucepan along with reserved orange juice. Bring to simmering.
- 15Whisk together milk, flour, salt and poultry seasoning in a small bowl until smooth. Stir into saucepan.
- 16Simmer over medium-high heat, stirring, 4 minutes or until gravy is thickened.
- 17Serve with carved turkey.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Orange-Herbed Roast Turkey
Serving Size: 1 (342 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 532.2
- Calories from Fat 234
- Total Fat 26.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.4 g
- Cholesterol 219.3 mg
- Sodium 383.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 66.2 g