Top Review by Stephie Biggs
I LIKE how low fat this recipe is! It's not as orange flavored as I had hoped, instead it's more of a suble orange taste. The texture is nice and crunchy. I skipped the glaze and just threw in a few chocolate chips, which worked well. I also substituted hazelnuts with pecans. This is a good recipe.
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon orange rind, grated
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup toasted hazelnuts, chopped
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon shortening
Directions See How It's Made
- Oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease baking sheets.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
- Beat oil, orange peel, orange juice, eggs and sugar in large bowl until smooth.
- On low speed, beat flour mixture into orange mixture. Add hazelnuts.
- Divide dough in half; shape each half into 10x1 1/2" log on floured work surface. Place logs on prepared sheets.
- Bake for about 30 min.
- Cool on baking sheets on racks for 10 min.
- Slice diagonally into 1/2" thick slices.
- Lay slices back on baking sheets.
- Bake 10 min.
- Remove baking sheets from oven; turn biscotti over.
- Bake another 10 min.
- remove biscotti from baking sheets to wire racks to cool.
- Chocolate Glaze: Combine chocolate and vegetable shortening in small saucepan.
- Melt over low heat, stirring frequently, until smooth.
- Cool slightly.
- Dip cooled biscotti into chocolate mixture. Cool on wire rack.