2 hrs 10 mins
A refreshing orange flavor that works nicely as a foil to all the chocolate-y confections offered in the candy dishes at the holiday parties and buffets. From Taste Of Home's Holiday Recipe Cards, December 09. NOTE: Cooking Time includes the COOLING TIME---plan ahead.
My Private Note
9x5 loa ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon butter, for greasing the pan
- 1 1/2 teaspoons orange flavoring (or extract)
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 4 drops yellow food coloring
- 1 drop red food coloring
- 1Line bottom and sides of 9x5 loaf pan with foil; grease the foil with butter; set aside.
- 2Grease bottom and sides of heavy saucepan with remaining butter; add sugar and corn syrup; cook & stir over medium heat until it comes to a boil--about 9 minutes. Tweak heat up to med-hi until candy thermometer reads 280* (soft-crack stage), stirring constantly.
- 3Meanwhile (this is getting exciting!), in another large saucepan, combine water, pectin and soda (slight foaming--see, I told you this was exciting); cook and stir over HIGH heat until boiling--about 2 minutes. REMOVE from heat; set aside.
- 4Back to the other pan: when 280*; remove from heat -- return pectin pan to med-hi heat to a SIMMER; carefully and slowly (see this IS exciting!) ladle corn syrup mixture into a VERY THIN stream into the pectin mixture, stirring constantly (you may need another hand here in case you're not multi-ambidextrous!). Cook and stir one minute longer.
- 5Remove from heat, stir in Flavorful Deliciousness'es. Pour into prepped pan.
- 6Let the candy sit for TWO HOURS. (Clean up the mess over at the stove.)
- 7Cut into tiny squares (try to get six dozen, that's six by twelve or 72 pieces--yes, from that one loaf pan--but remember, dearie, this is CANDY!).
- 8Roll gumdrops in additional sugar if desired.
Browse Our Top Christmas Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Orange Gumdrops (Candy for Christmas) from the Farmhouse
Serving Size: 1 (11 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 72
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 28.3
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.5 mg
- Sodium 14.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 0.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: