Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
This recipe was given to my Grandmother by her friend Marva about 25 years ago. It's been a family favorite ever since.
- 3 large grapefruits
- 1 orange
- 1 lime
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 5 cups sugar
- 3 ounces liquid fruit pectin, such as Certo
- Remove peels from fruit and scrape off excess pith. Cut peels into fine strips.
- In saucepan, combine peels, baking soda and 1 1/2 cups water. Bring to boiling, cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove white membrane from fruit and section, working over bowl to catch juices. Discard seeds.
- In 8-10 quart Dutch oven, combine sections, juice and undrained peel. Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Measure 3 cups cooked fruit mixture; add sugar and mix well.
- Bring to full rolling boil and boil, uncovered, 1 minute.
- Remove from heat, stir in liquid pectin and skim off foam with metal spoon. Stir and skim for 10 minutes.
- Pour into hot, sterilized jars and seal.
I can't believe I made my own marmalade! This is better than I can get at the store, for sure! Beyond taste, it gives a very lovely clear product. Thnx so much for posting, Morgorond. Made for Fall 2008 PAC.