Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
An outstandingly flavorful potato casserole with loads of eye appeal makes a sweet & savory side dish for almost any entree. I developed this dish after hearing about a recipe that mixes a variety of spuds to make potato chips.
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/8 inch thick slices
- 3 medium gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch thick slices
- 1 cup ricotta cheese or 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, cold
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup grated romano cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives, for garnish
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and sliced in half lengthwise
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Rub the cut side of the garlic clove on the bottom and sides of a 2½ quart covered baking dish.
- Bring the ricotta or cottage cheese, cold butter and milk to a slow simmer in a medium saucepan.
- Add the Romano cheese and red pepper, stirring constantly until the cheese is melted.
- Add the potatoes, salt, pepper, and continue simmering for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the bread crumbs and melted butter in a mixing bowl.
- Place the potatoes and sauce into the baking dish, and top with the bread crumbs.
- Cook until the potatoes are tender, approximately 55 minutes.
- Remove the cover from the baking dish and bake 5-10 minutes until the bread crumbs are browned.
- Remove from oven and let rest 10 minutes before serving.
- Sprinkle chives over the top just before serving.