Recipe by Audrey M
Wow!! A great flavor for your turkey.
Top Review by lisambaker
I made this for Thanks Giving, and everyone thought that this was to die for. And the gravey that I made from the drippings turned out great too!!! Thank you for sharing this. I am sure that it will become a family tradition year after year for us. :)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried savory
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 20 lbs turkey
- 2 medium pears, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 1 stalk celery, quartered
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 3⁄4 cup orange marmalade
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, mix the salt, pepper, savory and sage.
- Rub 1 Tablespoon of seasoning in the turkey cavity.
- Place the pears, onion and celery also in the cavity.
- Tie the drumsticks together.
- Place turkey on a rack with breast side up in a roasting pan.
- Combine butter and remaining seasoning mixture; brush over turkey.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325 degrees for 3 1/4 to 3 1/2 hours.
- Make sure you check the instructions for cooking time on your turkey label.
- While turkey is cooking, combine orange marmalade, orange juice and honey in saucepan.
- Bring mixture to boil.
- Reduce the heat until sauce thickens.
- Set aside and keep warm.
- When turkey begins to brown, cover lightly with a tent of foil.
- Bake 1 hour longer or until meat thermometer reads 180 degrees, brushing occasionally with orange glaze.
- Cover and let stand for 15 minutes before carving.
- Thicken pan juices for gravy with water and cornstarch, if desired.