Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Here is a great holiday side dish! Of course it can be made and enjoyed any time. My mom makes this. I prefer to mash the potatoes somewhat coursely or lumpy rather than as smoothly as typical mashed potatoes.
- 6 large sweet potatoes
- 88.74 ml brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 59.14 ml orange juice
- 29.58 ml unsalted butter, melted
- 4.92 ml real vanilla extract
- 2.46 ml salt
- 44.37 ml unsalted butter, softened
- 118.29 ml brown sugar, packed
- 177.44 ml chopped pecans
- 9 pecan halves (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375. Bake potatoes until very tender -- about 1 hour and 20 minutes. Let cool, and reduce oven heat to 350.
- Scoop potatoes out of peels and mash until desired texture. Stir in remaining ingredients and place in casserole dish (9 X 9).
- Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle over potatoes. Bake until done at 350 -- about 1/2 hours.
- Optional: stud with 9 pecan halves at even intervals before returning to oven, just to make it look pretty.