Recipe by JMS0173
Here is a great holiday side dish! Of course it can be made and enjoyed any time. My mom makes this. I prefer to mash the potatoes somewhat coursely or lumpy rather than as smoothly as typical mashed potatoes.
- 6 large sweet potatoes
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3⁄4 cup chopped pecans
- 9 pecan halves (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375. Bake potatoes until very tender -- about 1 hour and 20 minutes. Let cool, and reduce oven heat to 350.
- Scoop potatoes out of peels and mash until desired texture. Stir in remaining ingredients and place in casserole dish (9 X 9).
- Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle over potatoes. Bake until done at 350 -- about 1/2 hours.
- Optional: stud with 9 pecan halves at even intervals before returning to oven, just to make it look pretty.