Recipe by Whisper
This recipe came from The Best of Mennonite Fellowship Meals, one of my favorite cookbooks. It makes a nice side dish, as it's easy and tasty. Prep time includes boiling potatoes.
- 8 medium sweet potatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon shredded orange rind
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 6 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook potatoes in boiling, salted water until just tender; drain.
- Peel potatoes and cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch slices.
- Arrange in 9x13" baking dish.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- In a saucepan combine brown sugar and cornstarch.
- Blend in orange peel and juice.
- Add raisins.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Cook 1 minute longer.
- Add margarine and walnuts, stirring until margarine has melted.
- Pour sauce over sweet potatoes.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes or until sweet potatoes are well glazed.
- Baste occasionally.
- Variation: Immediately before pouring sauce over sweet potatoes, fold in 2 cups apricot halves.