1/2 Photos of Orange Glazed Roast Buffalo With Garlic Roasted Brussels Sprouts
4 hrs 25 mins
The Flying Chef's Note:
Delicious roast buffalo with an orange glaze a yummy gravy and roasted garlic sprouts with pancetta. I also served mine with sweet potato mash. Please note all ingredients listed below except bison are for 4-6 people. I have listed weight of bison you would need for 4-6.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 600 g bison round roast (I was only cooking for 2 you will need 1.4-1.8kg for 4-6 people.)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons shallots, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup marmalade (Generous Half cup)
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon thyme
For the gravy
- 2/3 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup madeira wine
- 1/2 teaspoon beef stock, granules (my stock is quite dense so you may have to adjust amount depending on what you use.)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons bisto, gravy granules
Roast Garlic Brussel Sprouts with Pancetta
- 1Melt butter in a pan, add shallots and cook until soft and browned. Add orange juice, marmalade, vinegar, pepper, sugar and thyme.
- 2Bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer about 25-30 minutes stirring occasionally, to thicken and reduce liquid amount. Remove from heat and set to one side, this is going to be the glaze for the meat. You can make this ahead of time if preferred and store in fridge until needed.
- 3Heat a small amount of oil in a pan sear buffalo roast on both sides, transfer to a roasting tin and add half cup of water. I like to roast my meat in a very slow oven for a few hours and then turn it up to slow-moderately slow. Buffalo is very lean and to have perfect tender buffalo it should be cooked low and slow.
- 4I begin brushing roast with glaze about an hour into cooking and continue to brush with glaze every 20 minutes or so until cooked.
- 5Cooking time will vary but it will take 4-5 hours depending on weight of meat.
- 6As a general guide line it should be about 125 Fahrenheit for rare and about 138 Fahrenheit for medium-rare when meat thermometer is inserted. You should also let the roast rest about 15 minutes before carving.
- 7If you are someone who can only eat well done meat then I would suggest finding a crock pot roast recipe where the meat is cooked all day and just falls apart and you don't have to worry about overcooking. Buffalo steaks or roasts, should never be cooked well done you will get the same result as with any other meat you overcook, it will have the same palatability as an old boot.
- 8While roast is resting, Place roasting pan over burners on stove leaving all the juices in pan, there should be quite a bit of liquid from water and glaze, leave this as it gives the gravy a lovely flavour. Add both the wines and beef stock stir over heat for a couple of minutes to deglaze, scrape up any brown bits. Add bisto granules and stir until mixture boils and thickens.
- 9For the Sprouts.
- 10Leave any small sprouts whole and halve the medium ones, place in oven dish drizzle olive oil all over them and add crushed garlic mix to combine sprouts, oil and garlic. Place chopped pancetta over top of sprouts dividing equally.
- 11Bake in 200°C oven for about 20-25 minutes until sprouts are browned on edges and tender. Add a few tablespoons of water and mix scraping up any brown bits, serve immediately.
- 12To serve: Carve roast, place a few slices of meat on each plate top with gravy and serve with sprouts and sweet potato mash on the side.
Browse Our Top Wild Game Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Wild Game Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Orange Glazed Roast Buffalo With Garlic Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Serving Size: 1 (200 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 261.3
- Calories from Fat 32
- Total Fat 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 7.6 mg
- Sodium 74.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 35.4 g
- Protein 3.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
bison round roast