Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Be sure everyone is very hungry before you serve these giant stuffed pork chops. Each one is a big 1/2-pound chop stuffed with an orange-flavored bread stuffing. While the chops bake, they are brushed frequently with a sweet-and-sour glaze made from orange juice, orange marmalade, brown sugar and vinegar.
- 4 pork chops, 1 1/2 inches thick (each about 1/2 lb)
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups soft bread cubes
- 2 cups orange juice
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1⁄4 cup light-brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup orange marmalade
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 375°F Wipe pork chops with damp paper towels. With a sharp utility knife, make a lengthwise cut in the fat edge of each chop, about 3 inches long, cutting through all the way to the bone, to form a pocket. Or ask your butcher to cut a pocket when purchasing the chops.
- In a large skillet, melt butter. Add celery and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until celery is tender, about 8 minutes. Add bread cubes and cook until lightly browned, stirring constantly. Remove skillet from heat.
- Into skillet, sprinkle 3 tablespoons orange juice, the parsley, 1/2 teaspoon salt and orange peel. Toss mixture lightly to combine. Fill pockets of chops with stuffing mixture, using your finger to force stuffing towards the bone.
- Arrange chops on a rack in a 13-by-9-by-3 inch roasting pan, standing chops on rib bones. Sprinkle with remaining salt. Pour 1 1/2 cups orange juice into roasting pan (the juice should not touch the rack). Loosely cover chops and pan with foil. Bake 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze. In small saucepan, combine 1/2 cup orange juice, sugar, marmalade and vinegar. Stir over medium heat until mixture is smooth and comes to a boil Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove foil from roasting pan. Brush chops with some of the glaze. Bake, uncovered, 45 to 50 minutes, or until chops are tender and golden brown, basting with glaze every 10 minutes. Brush with remaining glaze before serving. Makes 4 servings.