Recipe by cherin vancouver
Kind of sweet and kind of spicy full meal recipe for corned beef. I found this recipe in the local newpaper, and although I did not care for corned beef before, I love it made this way. Adjust the vegetable quantites as to what is on hand and personal preferences! This recipe sounds more complicated than it really is, but the result has been worth it every time!
- 3 -4 lbs corned beef
- 1 green cabbage, cut into serving size wedges
- 3 -4 small red potatoes, halved
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 2 stalks celery, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons pickling spices
- 2 -3 carrots, sliced in thick slices on an angle
- 1⁄4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup orange marmalade
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Tabasco sauce, more to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring brisket to a boil, adding the seasoning package and pickling spice, simmer for about 40 minutes per pound.
- Remove brisket from water, reserving the liquid, and place on a broiler pan. Cover with foil as you make the sauce and cook the vegetables.
- In a small sauce pan, add the frozen orange juice concentrate, orange marmalade, dijon mustard, brown sugar, and tabasco sauce (this helps in cutting the sweet of the orange juice and marmalade). Stir over medium heat until the marmalade and juice concentrante melts and the sauce begins to thicken.
- Add the cabbage and potatoes to the water used to cook the brisket and bring back to a boil, simmer just until the cabbage and potatoes are fork tender. Add the celery and 1/4 of the onion.
- In a seperate sauce pan, cook the rest of the onion and carrots in a small about of water, adding salt if you wish.
- Score the top of the brisket with a criss-cross pattern several times, about 1/2 inch deep. Spoon the sauce over the corned beef and place under the broiler until the sauce bubbles, about 7 to 10 minutes,.
- Add the half of the remaining sauce to the carrot and onion, toss to cover, and continue to cook over low heat while the brisket glazes.
- Cut the brisket against the grain. Drain cabbage, potatoes, celery and onions, arrange on a platter. Place brisket slices on top of veggies, garnish with carrot and onion, with the remaining sauce for dipping!