Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
A simple and tasty side dish from Fine Cooking. I don't cut the carrots as stated, I just use whole baby carrots.
- 1 1⁄2 cups baby carrots
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon shallot, chopped
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon of fresh mint, chopped
- Cut the carrots on the diagonal into 3-inch lengths.
- Cut thicker pieces in half lengthwise to make them uniform in size.
- Heat the oil in a 9-inch saute pan over moderate heat.
- Add the carrots and cook until lightly browned on all sides, about 3 minutes per side.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the ginger, garlic, and shallots and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the shallots are softened, 5-7 minutes.
- Add the honey, orange juice, soy sauce and water.
- Cover with a round of waxed paper that fits snugly on the vegetables.
- Cook the carrots slowly on top of the stove, stirring occasionally, until the carrots are tender and the juices have formed a glaze, 30-40 minutes.
- Garnish with the mint.
A bit too citrusy for me. I would cut the carrots next time as they took forever to cook. The mint added a nice fresh flavor. Made in memory of Lazyme's dh.