Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
Orange marmalade gives the frosting a pleasant citrus flavor
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 -5 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon orange marmalade
- 1⁄2 teaspoon butter, softened
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, shortening, eggs, sugar, orange juice, orange peel, salt and 3 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover; let rise in a warm place until doubled; about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; turn on a lightly floured surface. Divide into 13 pieces. Shape 12 pieces into 12-in. ropes. Fold each in half; twist top half of the open and twice to form ears. Place 2 inches apart on greased baking sheets. Shape remaining dough into 12 balls. Place one on the loop end of each roll to form a tail; press into dough. cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks. In a small mixing bowl, combine the glaze ingredients; beat until blended. Spread over rolls.