This was originally posted by Mean Chef; I had a nearly identical recipe posted, minus only the orange glaze. I got my version off a homeschool mom email loop; you know these have to be easy to do if we can make them while drilling multiplication tables and talking about Ancient Egypt. ;o)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups unbleached flour, plus more for rolling berries
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut in chunks
- 3/4 cup buttermilk or 3/4 cup cream
- 1 egg
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar; mix thoroughly.
- 3Cut in butter using 2 forks or a pastry blender.
- 4The butter pieces should be coated with flour and resemble crumbs.
- 5In another bowl, mix buttermilk and egg together, and then add to the flour mixture.
- 6Mix just to incorporate, do not overwork the dough.
- 7Roll blueberries in flour to coat, this will help prevent the fruit from sinking to the bottom of the scone when baked.
- 8Fold the blueberries into batter, being careful not to bruise.
- 9Drop large tablespoons of batter on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- 10Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until brown.
- 11Cool before applying orange glaze.
- 12To prepare Orange Glaze: combine butter, sugar, orange zest, and juice over a double boiler.
- 13Cook until butter and sugar are melted and mixture has thickened.
- 14Remove from heat and beat until smooth and slightly cool.
- 15Drizzle or brush on top of scones and let glaze get hazy and hardened.
Browse Our Top Scones Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Orange Glazed Blueberry Scones
Serving Size: 1 (1508 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 538.6
- Calories from Fat 119
- Total Fat 13.3 g
- Saturated Fat 7.8 g
- Cholesterol 62.7 mg
- Sodium 617.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 100.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 56.7 g
- Protein 7.5 g