Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Another typical New Zealand recipe. A loaf tin for this is 25cm x 11cm.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon orange rind, grated
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Cream together sugar and margarine.
- Add eggs, beat till light and fluffy.
- Combine dry ingredients in another bowl.
- Mix together orange juice and milk.
- Add the orange juice mixture alternately with the dry ingredients to the batter, beating till blended.
- Fold in orange rind and walnuts.
- Bake in a loaf pan about for 45 minutes or until the cake is cooked when tested with a skewer.
I just baked this and it smells delicious! If it tastes anything like it smells, then I'm in for a treat! I used butter instead of margarine, I cut the ginger down to 1/2 tsp. (I'm not a big ginger fan) and used about 1 Tbsp. of orange rind. I also used fresh squeezed OJ and also threw in a handful of saltanas and raisins. I had to cook it for an extra 15 minutes. Can't wait to try it! Thanks! :D
We love this type of bread/cake and this is no exception. For taste bud reasons we prefer to use butter and also added more orange rind. Lovely little cutting cake so thank you for a good addition to my files.
This turned out to be easy to make and also delicious to eat! A keeper.