Recipe by kolleen1021
I saw this recipe posted in a local newspaper for the upcoming Thanksgiving. I haven't made this yet, but wanted to post it for others who are looking for a nice side dish for the holidays. Prep time includes the time needed to bake the potatoes.
- 10 large sweet potatoes (approx. 5 lbs)
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup dark brown sugar (packed)
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup orange marmalade
- 2 tablespoons candied ginger (minced)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup dark rum (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Bake potatoes on a cookie sheet until soft (approx. 1.5 hrs).
- When cool enough to handle, peel and chunk potatoes into a large bowl.
- Add butter and other ingredients and toss to mix.
- Mash potatoes thoroughly or puree in a blender. A hand mixer works well also.
- Lower oven temperature to 350F.
- Turn mashed potatoes into a casserole dish and dot the top with a bit of additional butter.
- Bake 30-40 minutes until hot.
- NOTE: This can be made ahead of time. Bring the mashed potato mixture to room temperature before dotting with butter and baking until hot.