Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This I got from Cooking Light. Serve with rice and crisp vegies. A Healthy low fat low salt.
- 3⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 (1 1/2 lb) Cornish hens, skinned and halved
- cooking spray
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced garnish
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Combine water and cornstarch in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Add to juice mixture in pan, stirring with a whisk.
- Cook until thick and glossy about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Place hen halves, meaty sides up, on a foil-lined pan coated with cooking spray; sprinkle hen halves with salt,pepper and ground ginger.
- Spoon glaze mixture evenly over hen halves.
- Insert a meat thermometer into meaty part of a thigh, making sure not to touch bone.
- Bake at 475° for 25 minutes or until the thermometer registers 180°.
These hens are truly delicious and so quick and easy to make. I made this exactly as written and ended up with 4 hen halves and lots of delicious, orangey, gingery juice for our rice. My family loved this meal. Thanks Rita, I'll be making this often!