1/1 Photo of Orange Ginger Brined Chicken
1 hr 55 mins
1 hr 35 mins
Brining chicken is a great technique for making roasted chicken extra moist! The seasonings added to the brine infuse the bird with hints of ginger and orange. Enjoy! Adapted from Cooking Pleasures magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 1/2 cups water, divided
- 1/4 cup fresh ginger, chopped
- 1/3 cup kosher salt (coarse)
- 4 teaspoons orange zest, divided
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup apple juice (or orange juice)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 (4 1/2-5 1/2 lb) whole chickens
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1Place 1 1/2 cups of the water and 1/4 cup chopped ginger in a medium saucepan. Bring it to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low; simmer 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add the remaining 3 cups water, salt, 2 teaspoons orange peel, 1 cup orange juice, 1/2 cup apple juice, honey, thyme and hot pepper sauce; stir well to dissolve. Cool 15 minutes or until room temperature.
- 2Place the chicken in a 1 gallon resealable plastic bag. Place in a large bowl. Add the brine. Press the bag to remove air; seal. Refrigerate at least 6 hours or up to overnight. Drain; discard brine. Gently pat the chicken dry.
- 3Meanwhile, heat the oven to 375*F. Place the chicken, breast up, in a heavy shallow roasting pan. In a small bowl, stir together 1 tbls. minced ginger, remaining 2 teaspoons orange peel and butter. With a spatula, loosen skin from the breast and thigh areas. Spread the butter mixture under the skin of chicken over breast and thigh meat. Bake 1 hour 30 minute to 1 hour 45 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 180*F. Place the chicken on a platter; cover loosely with foil. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes.
- 4Now remove the fat from pan drippings. Add 1/2 cup of water, broth, 1/3 cup orange juice and 1 teaspoons ginger to the roasting pan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, scraping up all the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. In a small bowl, stir together remaining 2 tbls. water and cornstarch; whisk into the sauce. Boil 1 minute or until thickened. Serve sauce with the chicken. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Orange Ginger Brined Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (548 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 551.1
- Calories from Fat 333
- Total Fat 37.0 g
- Saturated Fat 11.2 g
- Cholesterol 165.5 mg
- Sodium 6516.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 9.9 g
- Protein 38.6 g